Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Joy of Bandaids

Lilly had an appointment today to get her four year shots.  I didn't want to tell her what this specific doctor appointment was for and have her freaking out about it, so I just told her we were going to wake up early from nap and go to the doctor.  Before nap she did express a slight concern about going to the doctor because "sometimes they poke you."  This was said with a terrified look on her face.  Then she relaxed, her eyes rolled into the back of her head, and she said with a sigh "And then you get a bandaid."  While she was taking a short nap I threw some Hello Kitty bandaids in my purse to make sure that she would have some pretty ones, which I am now glad I did.  What type of place gives shots only to kids and doesn't have kid friendly bandaids?  While there, Lilly was a big girl and comforted another girl before she got her shots (who also happened to be a four year old named Lilly) and then it was her turn.  She happily picked out her stickers, pencil, toothbrush, and coloring book while the nurses got everything ready.  She was given five shots in her thighs, but was very good about it.  She did cry a little bit while she was getting the shots, but when they were done so were the tears.  While I was putting her coat back on her and gathering all her new treasures, she says to me (and not quietly) "Mommy, I don't ever want to come back to this place!"  Luckily, I was able to honestly asure her that I wouldn't have to bring her back there... I didn't mention it was only because we were moving in a few weeks and her next set of shots would be given at a different place... Oh well, she has always been really good about getting her shots.  I honestly think it's harder for me cause it breaks my heart to take her to a place that will hurt her.  That's just the joy of being a mommy though.  
In other news, I have started packing up the closets and other things we don't use that often.  I have two sets of dishes so the nice set can be packed up.  I am determined to actually use them after I move, so if anyone wants to come over for supper-feel free!  I'd love to use them!  Lilly has been a big help with the packing.  I explained to her that Grandpa Daddy gave us some boxes so we can start packing up the extra blankets and closets and she got all excited about wanting to pack up some of her toys.  I told her that I would give her a box to start packing up the toys in her room and before I knew it most of her room was all packed and clean!  Now I just get to sort through all of her clothes and decide what goes with us, what gets given away, and what gets thrown away.  I'm also working on doing the same with my room and all the closets.  I'm actually enjoying this because every thing put in a box is just one step closer to leaving... *sigh* I can hardly wait!  
I register for classes at Grand View a week from tomorrow and the week after that is finals.  There are a couple classes that sound really interesting, like Psychology and Religion and the Special Topic classes.  The focus on one subject every year, and it's topics like Serial Killers!  It sounds sooo cool!  I would be moving a lot sooner but Lilly's dance recital is on May 28th and I really don't want to drive back and forth for practices and dress rehersals and all that.  There is also a picture day at some point, I can't wait to get those!  Lilly has been practicing hard and looks adorable.  If anyone is interested in driving 'all the way up here' to join me at Lilly's first dance recital, let me know and I'll give you the time and directions.  I would love for some of my friends/family to join me!  (I really don't want to be stuck sitting either by myself or with 'them' at the recital.)

No comments:

Post a Comment