Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Horned Lizard Day!


While trying to research the beginnings of Valentine's Day and come up with some point for it's existance besides an overdose of chocolates, flowers, and hearts, I discovered that February 14th is celebrated by some for another reason.  

*February 14th - Horned Lizard Day: For those of us who find Valentine's Day an appallingly saccharine and pointless holiday based entirely on superficial expressions of fraudulent love, Horned Lizard Day provides an opportunity to disorient our friends and loved ones with cheerful comments about interesting reptiles. Are you tired of Valentine's Day's hopelessly tooth-rotting sentimentality? Sick of supporting the flower and candy industries with hollow gestures of false affection? Does the color pink send you into fits of psychotic rage? Then celebrate something worth celebrating - celebrate Horned Lizard Day! I send Horned Lizard Day cards to my friends on this important occasion, both to spread happiness and to let them know what interesting animals horned lizards are. I feel that there is no better way to celebrate the 14th of February than with an animal that squirts blood from a sinus behind its eyes when threatened. See the dramatic struggle.

So I have decided (since I have no reason to celecrate artificial love and I'm a firm believer that love shouldn't be celebrated on just one day a year, but every day of the year) that today I am going to celebrate the horned lizard! And tomorrow (since my mom tells me that is national singles day) I am going to celebrate being single, since it is something that I am very proud of! 

And in case you all are wondering, I still did somewhat celebrate Valentine's Day.  Lilly got a gift bag full of various kinds of candy.  Happy Valentine's Day to all those who care.

*Picture and everything in red was found at http://alum.wpi.edu/~wes/holiday.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment