Monday, February 23, 2009

My Strange Little Angel

We left Des Moines yesterday around nap time.  Lilly was really insistant on bringing her 'baby jaguar' mask home with her, and Gamma was generous enough to let her.  On the way home Lilly did fall asleep briefly and she looked so adorable that I couldn't resist taking a quick pic of her!



When we got home we just had some quiet time.  She eagerly got her jammies on by herself (shutting me out of her room and screaming "Don't look in here!"). When she did finally emerge from her room to show off her jammie creation, this is what I saw:


Lilly is showing off her summer dora jammies (they are a pale yellow shorts and short sleeve shirt set) with her gray and pink striped tights on underneath to prevent her from getting cold. Apparently she was still pretty tired because it didn't take that long to get her to sleep, but I made the mistake of getting up after she was asleep to switch laundry around.  For those of you that don't know, Lilly is what you would call a "Major Bed Hog". If you aren't careful, she will take up the entire bed (no matter how big it is) and kick you out of it.  I am working on getting her to sleep in her own bed, but some nights it just isn't worth the fight (and last night was one of those nights).  Anyways, last night she fell asleep over by the wall on 'her side' of the bed and I got up and quickly switched laundry around. This is what I found when I came back to the room:


I'm also a little worried about her being a sleep walker.  There are some nights that she just stands up in the middle of the bed, walks around, and then lays back down. It's kinda wierd and does freak me out a little bit. Do you think this will be the extent of it, or will it get worse as she gets older? Or maybe the reason it hasn't gotten worse is because she is sleeping with me. Maybe if she were in her own bed the sleep walking would increase... who knows. As long as I keep all outside doors locked we should be alright... right?

Now, on to my current school happenings. In my Comp 2 class we are working in groups to create a propaganda visual presentation. My group chose the subject 'Childhood Obesity" and I am in charge of gathering statistics on the subject. Then we have to put all the different parts together in a powerpoint presentation using different types of progaganda techniques (such as glittering generalities, bandwagon, faulty cause and effect, two extreme fallacy...). Basically, we have to give only the facts that we want them to hear (without any backup) and make it sound good. If we support a specific website or organization that is trying to help with the problem, then we have to make them sound good without any real reason for them to.  I have found some interesting facts though. Such as "Social circumstances are heavily influencing the progression of childhood obesity" and "the prevalence of obesity is higher with the low-income children." According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, over the past three decades the childhood obesity rate has more than doubled for preschool children (2-5 years old) and adolescents (12-19 years old), and it has more than tripled for children ages 6-11.  Interesting, huh? Also, unhealthy weight gain due to poor diet and lack of excercise is responsible for over 300,000 deaths each year.  I found all that kinda interesting. 

Oh, and a quick update on my Child Support Fraud proposal.  I got it back Friday with a 99%!  The only thing that was wrong with it was two typos! I accidently hit a 's' instead of a 'd' on the word 'defined' and put an 's' at the of 'work' in 'work cited'. Since there was only one source used (cause that's all that was allowed) it needed to be singular and not plural. We were allowed to fix our mistakes and turn it back in for 5 points, so I should get a 100% on it! I'll keep you posted on the rest of my papers and grades!


1 comment:

  1. Yes she will probably sleepwalk - you and Rob both did. You can thank your uncles Don and Jeff for that!

    ReplyDelete