Monday, March 9, 2009

My Prince Charming... Barney!

As I was trying to get Lilly to go to sleep tonight we had a very interesting, funny, and insightful conversation about Prince Charmings.  Here is a basic over view of our conversation:
Lilly: I really want you and me to go to the royal ball.
Me: That would be nice.
Lilly: And EVERYONE can go with us!
Me: That would be nice. 
Lilly: And do you know who my Prince Charming is going to be?
Me: Who?
Lilly: Grampa!
Me: That would be nice.
Lilly: And do you know who Grandma Jackie's Prince Charming is going to be?
Me: Who?
Lilly: Ryan!
Me: ok...
Lilly: And do you know who Gramma Pam's Prince Charming is going to be?
Me: Who?
Lilly: Jason!
Me: That would be nice.
Lilly: And do you know who your Prince Charming is going to be?
Me: Who?

Long pause as she pondering this particular question....

Lilly: I don't know who your Prince Charming is going to be...
Me: Well, what if I don't want a Prince Charming?
Lilly: Ok! You can sit down and watch everybody!
Me: But what if I want to dance?
Lilly: You can't.
Me: Why not?
Lilly: Because you don't have a Prince Charming! (in a 'duh' voice)
Me: What if I want to dance by myself?
Lilly: Well, you have to have a Prince Charming... I know!
Me: What?
Lilly: Barney can be your Prince Charming! The dinosaur! And when you dance he will sing "I love you, you love me, we're best friends as friends should be. With a great big hug and a kiss from me to you..." Barney would be a nice Prince Charming! Wouldn't that be nice?

At this point I am laughing really hard but I manage a "That would be nice"

Lilly: Yeah, Barney would be a good Prince Charming.

As I finally got her to fall asleep I started to ponder on some things that she had said, or rather, implied in a child like manner.  Not the whole "Barney should be your Prince Charming" thing, but then again... He is a nice dinosaur, he's good with kids, he likes to play games and teach people things... but I don't know, I don't think we look like a very good couple... Do you?



Anyways, what I really starting analyzing was the "You can't dance unless you have a Prince Charming" thing.  If you think about it, that's not an uncommon thought process for women, but how young does it start?  In today's society, it is considered bad in some way, shape, or form for a person to be 'single'.  We get the, "Oh, really?" and "I'm sorry's" and the hook ups that we don't want.  And we are expected to always be on the look out for our "Prince Charming".  But what if we don't WANT a Prince Charming?  What if we are perfectly content with being a SINGLE PRINCESS??  Why is 'dinner for two' more acceptable that 'dinner for one'? And it's not just at restaurants!  Go to your local supermarket and you will see plenty of good and fancy 'dinner for two's' and what for us single people? Mini pizza's, lean cuisines, and easy mac!  It's even on facebook, for crying out loud.  As soon as a status changes from 'in a relationship' to single you have people writing you that you haven't talked to in years wondering what's going on.  And in my case, I haven't been in a relationship for a while (thank God!) but when I made a facebook account for the first time a few weeks ago, I got comments on the single status.  And how young does this thinking start?  Do we teach our daughters that life is not complete unless they have a Prince Charming?  That you can't fully participate in the fun parts of life unless you have a man by your side? Is that why so many women stay in abusive relationships? Because it's better than being single?  Because it's almost unacceptable to be single?  Because, as someone once told me, "A pile of shit is still warm"?  And how do we go about changing this way of thinking?  I know I'm changing that way of thinking for myself.  I'm happy being single and I really don't want a man in my life right now.  But whenever I say this to anyone, I get these "I pity you" looks because they really don't believe me and they think I'm just saying that because I don't have a man in my life right now.  But, just to let everyone know, even though I am not completely opposed to the thought of dating IN THE FUTURE, if I find a man worthy of not only my time and attention, but my daughters, I am serious about not wanting a relationship right now.  Hard to believe? Well, this Princess is taking a stand as I walk out onto the dance floor WITHOUT a man by my side and get my groove on!  Any other single Princesses want to join me?  We can take the stand together.  See you on the dance floor if you decide to, cause I'm not putting my life on hold for anybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment