Monday, March 9, 2009

Yet Another Challenge

I found out last night that because I dropped a class (it was either that or take an 'F') as of March 16 I am no longer going to receive child care assistance.  Meaning, I have one week left of day care!  As far as I can see, I do have a few options.  I talked to my day care provider and in order to maintain our current day care schedule it will cost me $50 a week/$200 a month, which really isn't bad considering what most places charge.  So, here are the options I can see. 1) I could pay it myself out of the money I saved from my student loans, but then not be able to afford a new place and be homeless as of June 1st. 2) I could send Lilly to live in Des Moines with my parents and visit her on weekends... or 3) I could drop out of school.  I am doing everything I can to avoid having to make on of those decisions and see if there is the hope of having anything else available.  I was considering reapplying for FIP since child support isn't really happening (haven't received a payment lately and it's not enough to hold out for) but unless I'm a full time student I would also be required to have a job.  But on the upside, I would not only be receiving money through Promise Jobs, but they would also pay for child care... I could take an online course and hope that will bump me back up to full time status or put out ten job applications a week and hope that nobody calls me back (and drag Lilly along while I do all that). I decided there was no harm in filling in an application for FIP and talking to somebody about my circumstances and seeing what could be worked out... I know that when I first started receiving FIP awhile back they allowed me to not do the job searches because of my treatment schedule.  So I am hoping that my continueing treatment and taking three classes will be enough... or the online class... but if I don't even have enough time to get all the homework done that I currently have and that's why I had to drop one of my classes, how is adding another class to my schedule going to be a good thing?  My worker (at the YW) thinks that the fact that I had straight A's last semester will help me make a case... I don't know.  I'm just really stressing about this whole thing.  How much is one person expected to be able to handle in one lifetime??  I have an appointment with a FIP worker person at 3:00 today, they were able to get me in suprisingly fast... So I guess all I can really do is pray and see what happens with that.  I really don't want to have to make the choice between being homeless, sending my daughter to live somewhere else, or dropping out of school...

1 comment:

  1. Dropping out of school is not an option. It's not so much as Lilly living her - it would be you commuting more. You will never ever be homeless, home is where your heart is - no matter how annoyed you are with me!

    ReplyDelete